Monday 23 February 2009

Neon feather boas and other adventures


So, I've succumbed, given in, caved, jumped on the bandwagon and all that jazz. In short, I 've only gone and got myself a lovely, new, shiny blog. And now that I can breathe in the lull between Fashion Week shows I'm going to write about them. First to the step up to the chopping block, Caroline Charles.

But before discussing the ins and outs of the esteemed desig
ners collection, a mention, in true Fashion Week style of a ridiculous yet totally awesome crime of fashion. So, this woman who I can only assume is pretty important because she was lauding herself around like Donatella Versace's doppelganger needs to be jailed for public indecency. The outfit was horrendous. My jaw dropped. I was too shocked to take a picture (shame).

Picture this: Black bodycon slashed to the belly button (practically) and mini. On a fifty year old. But oh, there is more. A huge neon pink and yellow feather boa attached to the hem and collars, like the tie-dyed skin of Big Bird. Coupled with what lookd like an oversized technicolour Skaletrics flower protruding from her wrinkly head. WTF?! Sorry love, this is London Fashion Week, not acid Ascot.

But anywho, I'm deviating from my original point so back to the collection. Muted tones of brown and gold sashayed down the catwalk on demure models with bouffant quiffs to the soundtrack of 30s and 40s jazz. Animal print, oversized waist cinching belts and tweeds were accessorised with baskets of leaves (I don't know if that'll catch on!) as the clothes epitomised English country chic and elegance. Colours were autumnal with obligatory blacks and greys and even a hint of paisley print. Hairpieces were also out in force and look set to be huge for AW09. Good stuff, I love a big ole' hairband, very Blair Waldorf (my apparent idol). I coveted a black tux and skinny tie and jumped for joy (well not literally, but you know, metaphor and all...) when a pair of leather legging rocked their way down the catwalk. I'm a pretty big fan of these babies...



The show ended with an etereal red gown fashioned with floor-length chiffon veil and a bouquet of red roses. A very nice start to the fashionable week.


No comments:

Post a Comment